It`s time for people and pets to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors.
Many pet owners have gardens, fertilize their yards, and may use a weed killer or insecticide.
Do you first consider what would happen if your pet was to ingest any of these, most times, poisonous products?
Dr. Cassandra Bliss of Michigan Veterinary Specialists say even a small amount of any of these substances can make dogs and cats very sick.
She states " I would say that nearly 30 percent of poison cases we see would be of dogs getting into things in the garden outside. It is a huge thing that happens in the evenings, on the weekends, when people are just out enjoying their gardens,not even thinking about it."
Fertilizer exposure can cause "severe gastric upset" and gastrointestinal obstruction.
Bliss gives some easy steps to follow to ensure your garden and yard stay safe for your pets this spring and summer.
First, stay away from the mulch, cocoa mulch, which is sometimes used in landscaping.
It can cause muscle tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea. Some not so toxic mulches include cedar or shredded pine.
Most rat poisons, fly bait with methomyl, snail bait with metaldehyde, and a few others are among the most dangerous pesticides.
You can make home made bug repellents using castor, neem, or canola oil
You can try caffeinated coffee to kill slugs or weaker coffee to keep slugs off the plants by applying to the base of the plant.
You can read more about poisons and poisonous plants on a USA website Pet Poisons Website, you can email them also for more information
Dr. Bliss explains " They will immediately give you advice.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned please cntact your family vet as it could be an emergency.